Whether your custom order has arrived or you are still waiting for it, you can begin to clean and prep your surface for installation.
Let us start by saying that Tempaper is recommended for smooth surfaces that are in good condition and have been primed and painted with a satin or semi-gloss finish. We do not recommend applying Tempaper to matte, flat, and low sheen paints, textured surfaces, or exterior surfaces. If you will be applying to any other type of surface, we recommend that you purchase a sample and test the surface in a discreet area prior to starting a full application.
Lastly, if your surface is freshly painted, we ask that you allow your surface to fully cure before applying removable wallpaper to it. Follow the directions on your paint can as each paint type has different curing times.
Before You Begin Installing Custom Wallpaper
Clean surface by wiping with a damp cloth or wet rag, making sure surface is fully dried before application. For an easier install, remove switch plates and outlet covers prior to installation making sure to turn off electricity at source prior to removal.
If your surface has been painted with zero VOC paint, we recommend wiping your surface with a 1:1 Isopropyl alcohol and water solution first. This may help with adhesion and will clean any dust or debris off your surface. We also recommend this step if you are unsure what your walls have been painted with.
We also suggest laying out your project panels in correspondence to the enclosed panel guide and the information on the backside of each panel. If you notice any inconsistencies, please call or email us right away so that we can best assist you with these issues.
Gather Your Tools
• Craft Knife
• Cutting Surface
• Ruler or Straight Edge
• Step Stool
• Tape Measure
Wallpaper tools and accessories are also available for purchase on tempaper.com.
Application Steps For Custom Wallpaper
1. Using a level, mark a vertical guide or plumb line* down the length of the surface.
2. Following the panel guide, peel back 3-4 ft. of the backing on the first panel.
3. Begin at the top edge aligning paper with your vertical guide or plumb line to ensure a straight application.
4. Use a squeegee to smooth paper to surface working from the center out. Tempaper can be repositioned as needed to ensure pattern alignment and to eliminate bubbling.
5. Continue in 3-4 foot increments peeling and smoothing until you reach the bottom edge of your surface.
6. Repeat steps 2-5 making sure to align the pattern with each consecutive panel until the surface has been fully covered.
*Please note: each panel includes a 1/8” overlap for ease of application and to avoid splitting seams in environments that can be subject to temperature variances.
7. Trim where needed with a craft knife to complete your application.
Download the installation instructions.
*How to Draw a Plumb Line
In order to ensure that your wallpaper is hung straight, we recommend marking a vertical plumb line on your wall.
- Starting at the corner of your wall, measure out from the corner the width of the roll minus .5 inches. For example, for rolls of 20.5 wide you would mark 20 inches from the corner. For rolls 27 inches wide, you would mark 26.5 inches from the corner.
- Place your level at the mark and drawn a straight, vertical line (also known as a plumb line).
- We recommend that you mark a plumb line every time you arrive at a corner or start a new wall.
If you find the weight of the roll or the backing paper bothersome during application, each section can be carefully cut as you work making sure to leave enough paper to finish application.
Helpful Hints for Applying Custom Peel and Stick Wallpaper
- Grab a friend. While it's easy to apply our wallpaper by yourViewself, it's more fun to tackle a DIY beginner-level project with a friend.
- Be careful not to pull on the paper during the application or else the paper may stretch and won't align properly.
- If air bubbles occur, you can use a safety pin to create a tiny hole in the center of the bubble to release the air.
Good luck! We can’t wait to see how beautiful your project turns out!